Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Thursday, January 30, 2014

More WWII Work

Snow storm slowed my progress on the WWII British P.O.W. dollhouse. But I did "finish" the left front-opening panel (I say "finish" because I still want to go back and touch up small spots, but overall its done).

Left Front Opening Panel when customer brought it in: as a child, customer had painted
over the original green paint with red paint. Mullions werre missing from windows above.

Left Panel In Progress: Red paint
was (mostly) sanded off (revealing
green paint underneath which was
then (mostly) sanded off too.
Also discovered some mullions were
previously repaired/replaced with
paper - so those were removed. 

Left Panel "Finished": Green is on!
Trims that were green have been
restored to green again.  Mullions
were repaired with wood. Exterior
is completed painted white.

Now on to the mullions (the wood bits that create the "panes" on the windows).  At first glance, the house was missing a lot of mullions.  But once I started to work on the house, I realized that almost all mullions were missing!  Someone along the way had "repaired" missing (or broken) mullions with strips of paper.  Once I removed those flimsy replacement parts I had to cut new pieces out of wood strips. In addition to the windows on the Left Front-Opening Panel that I replaced/repaired, I have created the mullions for one full side so far:

The left side of the house as it was when customer
brought it in to us.
Left Side of the house: Mullions have been created for all the windows!
(I still have to give the house body another coat of white and paint the trims green).

In searching on the internet, I did discover a reference to a WWII German POW in a Gainesville, TX P.O.W. facility that built furniture (crib) and dollhouses!  I was completely stunned by this as I was unawares that there were WWII German POWs on USA soil during the war!  I have learned something new.

I still have to create more mullions for the other 2 sides of the house, paint the trims all green and fix up the "yard" a bit.  And then the customer has added some minor interior work to be done.  So it will still be another week or two of work.

But that is the current status of the WWII British POW house!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lori,
    The left panel looks beautiful. The green really makes the wonderful detail stand out.
    Big hug,