So, first up: The Mansion! I decided I wanted windows on the back of the house. And not just any plain rectangle windows. Let's make them a difficult shape!
Then I took apart some Exterior Double Pollinade doors by Majestic Mansions and made the door panels into the windows:
The Mansion has been worked on every single day but for the most part the progress is boring: I've had to sand every single one of the addition's 17 window and door openings. Luckily I did that before decorating the rooms (as opposed to the right side of the house). But since I hate sanding, especially when some needed to be sanded down by as much as 1/8", I would only do one opening a day. And with 17 openings, it took over 2 weeks to do that task.
And I'm still working on the customer's house that had water damage to the front porch roof (Introduction to Customer's House). Customer had informed us that she had no deadline for the house; just wants it done by the end of the year. So I was able to put it aside for a few months and focus on the other 4 customer houses I had in that needed to be done ASAP. But now I have time to finish this one. Since we had removed the damaged porch roof, several original shingles could not be salvaged due to mold, splintering, warping, etc. I spent a few days painting new cedar shingles to match the older, discolored shingles on the house.
|Arrow is pointing to old shingles; circle shows real color of cedar shake that I've painted|
|BEFORE: Original Picture of house with damaged porch roof in center|
|BEFORE: Up close photo of water damaged roof|
|IN PROGRESS: Photo from April of new roof being glued on porch|
|IN PROGRESS: New shingles on porch roof|
|IN PROGRESS: New shingles match older shingles quite well!|
During these past two weeks I also got distracted, er, I mean, I created a wall gun cabinet for another customer. Had two customers in on the same day looking for gun cabinets. Where upon I realized we did not have any in stock. And the only one I could find from my distributors didn't fit either customers' needs. So I am making them some...
|Got various scrap woods and trims, started to stain them all|
|All my pieces drying|
|Made a box for a wall hanging gun case...|
|Trimmed it out and made sure rifles fit in it; can even fit a third one if she wants.|
|Cut frame trim to create glass front cabinet doors.|
|Just need to put hinges on and this wall hanging gun cabinet is done|
|Slanted at back|
|Still needs trims and doors and to verify it fits in her room|
And, to end with something pretty (Oh, look! Something shiny!), I did install the Mansion's Lady's bedroom ceiling medallion thing ("thing" is a miniaturist's decorating term for me)...
|Still need to put up crown molding...|
|Doors fit! Just gotta paint them now...|
|Looking thru from sitting room to the bedroom|
|Bedroom with it's pretty furniture in place|