Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Monday, February 17, 2014

World War II is Done! (Part 1)

The WWII POW dollhouse is finished!  What a difference!

More photos will be added in a post tomorrow but wanted to post a quick note saying that it is finished (Both excited and saddened by that -- it was so much fun to work on and I'll miss it! Yet I'm excited by how cute it turned out!)

I have to admit I went a bit overboard.  Customer wanted to focus on fixing up the house and since the roof was passable she did not want us to fuss with it too much.  We were only hired to repair a corner or two and maybe finish off the trim.  But I went ahead and did some extra on the roof to help it blend in better with the overall "fix up" of the house.  I matched the paint color and painted over the bare spots on all the roof edges at the top. I think it looks a bit fresher this way . . . .

BEFORE: Corner where roof peak met.

AFTER: Rough spots still there, but all is painted.

BEFORE: Raw wood exposed all down the peak of the roof.
AFTER: Painted along the ridge cap to match.
Overall I think the roof blends nicely with the upgrades/work that was done for the entire house!

AFTER: Still shows her age, but a little "facelift"
put the roof on par with the sprucing up the house got.

An added touch: Customer recalled that the lower back two rooms were next to impossible to access as a child (probably how the mullions in the windows became broken was from hands trying to shove pieces in those rooms).  The one is accessible by the side door (a narrow opening, but still feasible for getting small bits of furniture or accessories into the room).  And the black/white checkered floor room (designated a kitchen) was only accessible thru the dining room archway from the front of the dollhouse.  When repairing/replacing mullions, I purposely created the kitchen mullions to be removable so that the customer can more easily arrange furniture and items in this back room now.  Yet the mullions fit snuggly enough that it is not noticeable when viewing the house that they can be removed.

With mullions securely in place.
Bet you can't tell which window it is! :)

With mullions removed.
Check back tomorrow for more details and pictures of the finished project!

No comments:

Post a Comment