But in between the various snow related activities, I put together the library spiral stair case! It is a special order spiral staircase kit by Alessio. He makes a (nicer, IMO) spiral staircase kit but it takes up 5" diameter of space in the house. I only had 4" diameter of space I could spare for the stairs so I contacted him and requested this kit be made to only take up the smaller diameter. The treads aren't as finely detailed as his 5" diameter steps which have a pretty design on them (as opposed to mine that have two rows of square holes), but this kit met my important criteria of 4" diameter -- plus I have a pretty scroll work railing for it so that will dress it up. I had carefully dry fit it together, sanding and whittling down the spindle posts that were too fat to fit thru the appropriate holes, and positioned it in the house and it was perfect! So I disassembled the dry fit and broke out the glue!
|Moving right along!|
|No, no, no, no, NO!|
Luckily, our cozy fire in the other room had the house at a lovely 76-degrees (F) so the glue was not set yet. I could wiggle the parts all back off! After some sanding of dried glue bits and gluing 2 broken steps back together, I was ready to begin again . . .
|Round 2: Murphy's Law - 1; Me - 0.|
|Spiraling the correct way now...|
|YAY! I did it correctly this time!|
|Sticks all trimmed off|
|Dry fit of scroll work railing|
|Set in to the room - it's a good fit!|
|Painted and with all railing in|