My best friend acquired this room box for me years ago. A shop façade with windows on either side.
(The bike seemed to highlight the fact that the door wasn't quite to scale so I ditched the bike out front.) As summer approached I thought I would dust off this little roombox for a quick and easy project to tackle -- it would only take me a month or so. (We all know how THAT goes, right?)
I had spent a few years debating about what should go in the shop windows. Sewing paraphernalia? (I have the Knitty Kitty
which seems like a similar theme.) Bakery items? (But I already have a bakery, both a bread bakery
as well as a Confectionery shop.) Plus, the image behind the revolving door is more of a clothing shop. So I looked at miniature clothes but nothing really excited me. I did find some cute Western hats and purses though....
So I thought maybe I would do something like this NYC shop window:
|Actual shop window in NYC, Dec 2015 or 2016|
But my window is too small for a large jackrabbit scene. But it is big enough for some cacti! So I started making some (glittery) cacti. Made the bases out of tin foil....
Then covered them with FIMO clay...
Once baked I spray painted it green and then another coat of green glitter on that...
So I had a direction and was making progress on the one window scene. And then this purchase from WennysMinis
inspired the other window to become a bee themed scene:
Started to make a bee sign out of FIMO and a honeycomb mold I had. Needed a blank space in the middle for the sign's words ("Bee Wild") but I didn't smooth the area where they met very well and I didn't realize it until I started to paint it and the issue became apparent...
...but I went with it anyways cuz it was only gonna be temporary. I should know better by now: my temporary usually becomes permanent. Found some charms that fit the theme and began to acquire bee things...
My most treasured purchase was this pair of shoes, custom made for me by kellylynminiatures
While acquiring so many cute, tiny items for my shop windows, it quickly became obvious that these window scenes would need light. Ordered 2 bulbs and battery pack from Evans Design
. Used a thin floral wire to pull a bulb thru the tiny opening so both windows get light.
|Pulling bulb thru the small opening on the right|
|Taped the bulb in place with electrical tape|
|Windows all lit up now (with stripes drawn in)|
I drew some lines to make a striped pattern for the bee themed window. Thought a nice black and yellow stripe would add some color and interest. But the painted stripes looked sloppy. Guess my hands aren't as steady as they used to be.
|The messy edges on the stripes would drive me crazy over time|
Luckily my best friend suggested yellow paper strips to make crisp neat lines. Smart idea! And what's better than yellow scrap book paper to make crisp clean stripes? GLITTERY scrapbook papers to make crisp clean stripes!
|Pow! Glitter, baby!!!!|
Bee Theme Window is ready for all the bee related items I have been purchasing!
And I originally wanted the cacti scene to have a night time starry night background so I could decorate the sky with little diamonds to get some glitter bling in that window too, but I was having trouble finding someone to print the Google image I found.
|Loved this night scene I found on google|
My printer only prints in black and white. So I couldn't print the image myself. But while shopping at a dollar store I found a calendar and June's picture had cacti, so for $1, that can't be beat. And I ended up using that image instead:
|My cacti sunset scene|
Now to work on the flooring.
Again, scrapbook papers came to my rescue on the bee side. Piece of honeycomb design paper and that's done. The desert side I had more qualms regarding the floor. Was gonna do sand. But I wanted more glitter/bling. And then I remembered these leftover bits from my daughter's diamond painting. The colors were perfect for a desert theme. And they sparkle a little!
So I made a template of the space and arranged where my cacti would be placed and started to glue the diamond painting pieces in place.
Anyone else seeing multicolored flint corn instead of a tile mosaic floor? Lol
I decided to check if it was working or not. I loved the look of the tile flooring, but it wasn't fitting the mood of the window.
So, back to the drawing board. And again, scrapbooking paper came to my rescue! I had bought a few sheets of different gold glitter papers for the Bee Wild side. And one of them was more of a copper shade. So it became my flooring.
|Lots of glitter glitz|
Time to deal with the white gaps along the edges, make the sign for this window, and fill the window with stuff!
|"Live Wild" side|
|A little disappointed that the sign isn't as clear once the light is on|
Up-close photos of the Bee Wild side:
Both pillows are by Designs By Janet, bee bag was purchased from ZJMiniatures
, and of course, my fabulous shoes I mentioned earlier get to be at the front of the window.
I loved the hats by Just For You
, especially the one with it's matching purse.
Whole project "complete":
Of course, now that it's finished, I realize that I should have put a light above the revolving door inside to light up the "inside" and some exterior lights on either side of the door would be appropriate. Plus my friend suggested plants, ash tray, or a dog peeking in a window would help the exterior spaces look more realistic/interesting. So, I have placed an order for more lights and I must wait for them to arrive. This "quick and easy" early summer time project has now taken me all summer and into October. And although I have "completed" the project, I still have more to do. Another day.