Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Silver Linings

One of my dreams for this mansion is a two-story library room.  I have several pieces of the Bespaq library set to put in this 2-level room.  I put some of the pieces in this roombox I made (on the left) so that I could enjoy them/view them while I searched for the perfect dollhouse for my mansion.

Today I attempted to arrange the fireplace and two bookcases in the first floor of the library to discover that the rooms I had picked to be the library was not large enough for the furniture I had!  The fireplace fit - but not the bookcases!

I tried to rearrange the furniture - what if I filled in the double window and put the fireplace and bookcases along the longer wall?  What if I turned the bookcases to be at an angle?  What if I only put one bookcase next to the fireplace (looked horribly off-balance).  I was in a panic.  I bought this dollhouse kit and am constructing an addition based on this dollhouse having two identical rooms one-over-the-other so that I could cut an opening out of the floor/ceiling to create one room.  And now these two rooms are too small?  Now what?  Obviously time for a coffee and chocolate cookie break!

While having my coffee I stared at the plans for my house.  The Parlor room would be large enough for the fireplace and bookcases -- that room has a long 13-1/2" wall with no interruptions (no doors, windows, stairs, etc.).  But where would my Parlor go?  Currently my Parlor furniture is crammed in with my Music Room furniture in this roombox (pictured on right).  The roombox looks a bit cramped, but the doll and dog would not be in the room in the house so that would free up some space.  And this roombox is roughly 14" x 10".  My Music Room is 13-1/2" x 15".

This could work: move the first floor library room to the Parlor; put the Parlor furniture in the Music Room; and the second floor library room will be above the first floor library room (slightly different size, but still able to cut the floor to create the illusion of a two-story room) where the Game Room was to be (Game Room to be swapped with second floor library).  So, once I was done changing, joining and swapping rooms -- I was left with an open room!  I am now trying to decide what the new empty room should be: another guest bedroom (already have one in the house)? the sewing room (was going to stick this in the basement with the wash room)? an art room (have lots of artist supplies that I was going to try to display on the terrace or in the Lady's sitting room - or just sell as the idea of putting the artist items in the Lady's sitting room did not sound like a very Victorian thing to do)?

So my panic, terrible discovery this morning led to a silver lining of an open room (and a few cookies)!

P.S. my wood cutter friend contacted me to say that he has cut my new-measurements-addition wood!  I hope to get them from him this weekend!  Happy Dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment