Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Finally back!

What a year -- I lost my blog (how embarassing - please don't tell anyone!).

A friend of mine offered to cut the addition pieces for me and I dry-fitted them together to discover that I am a terrible measurement-taker.  You've heard the saying: "measure twice, cut once"?  Apparently I measured dozens of times yet still had to admit to the wood-cutter that I'd had him cut the wood to the wrong height.  He agreed to cut me some new pieces (thank goodness).

In the meantime my father (my usual wood-cutter) pointed out to me that this house with an addition on it will be huge and will not fit thru an average door.  So the addition will not actually be attached to the main house with a hinge.  Both the addition and the main house will be attached to their own base (which will have wheels to make it easier to move this thing around).  I will fit the addition butt-up against the main house, decorate the exterior and pull the two pieces apart again.

I FOUND MY GRAND STAIRCASE!!!!  Have been searching for a decade for an impressive, elegant, grand staircase (that I could afford -- I saw beautiful stairs at the Philly Show one year, but I was NOT spending $2,900 on one staircase!).  Majestic Mansions came out with their Palace Dollhouse and in it is a wonderful staircase!  Through my local miniature shop I was able to purchase this Bespaq-produced staircase (which is good - that means it will match the other two stairs that I have for the mansion which are also Bespaq stairs purchased years ago and I thought I was going to have to bash the two stairs to make my one grand stair -- now, I have my grand stair and two other straight stairs!).

Excitement started yesterday - wood-cutter-friend emailed me to say that he hopes to have a few hours this up-coming week to cut me my new addition pieces!  And Dad-the-wood-cutter called me yesterday to say that he was cutting the wood for the bases and going to a home improvement store tomorrow to look for wheels!  (In my excitement I threw a curve ball at Dad: I want the base to be open on the sides so that I can add a wine cellar, wash room, maid/butler's room and chef's room in the basement).  He told me to tell him the measurements, he'll cut the wood and deliver them to me and I can assemble/play all I want.  And he knows about the "measured dozens of times yet still told the wood-cutter-friend the wrong measurements", yet Dad still offered to cut me whatever I wanted based on my measurements!  Can't decide if that's fatherly love and devotion or a sign that my father is loosing his marbles!

All day long yesterday I researched marble blocks (not because I thought Dad was losing his marbles though ;o))).  I want the exterior of this Victorian Mansion to be marble blocks (like Marble House or Elms in Newport, RI).  But no one has any the size I'd need (this house is HUGE and so the scale needs to be just a bit bigger to not look "busy" but yet still be impressive).

So, I have removed the top of the Majestic Mansion's Darlington (it is on the cart in the top left in the photo) and have the new top of the mansion in place to figure out how the fourth floor will be laid-out.  At first I thought I would keep the fourth floor the same - just move it over a bit so it would be centered over the main house and addition together (instead of only centered over the main house).  But now, the fourth floor will get an addition too.  Sure, why not?  At this point in time what is another 3 rooms?

And, last but not least, please also check out my friend's blog about her miniature adventures with her Glenwood by Real Good Toys:  Audra's Adventures

1 comment: