Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Gardens

22 years ago I completed my English Teahouse. Each room in the Teahouse was decorated with a particular family female in mind (myself, my sister, my mother).  Right after finishing the building, I created a Springtime Garden to be just outside the teahouse. The Garden was named "The Afternoon Garden" or "The P.M. Garden" since the gardens were for an honorary family member (my Aunt Pam - not blood related nor married into the family, but my aunt nonetheless). And since my Aunt Pam became my aunt by always being around, having tea with my Mom at my childhood home, the P.M. (Pam. Mom.) Garden was for them.


Enter thru the archway and take a seat at a bench to sip your tea

Garden filled with greenery and flowers

I always intended to make a Fall and Winter Garden as well but time got away from me.  I knew that when I made the next gardens, I would need to mimic the same set up (since it is supposedly the same garden, just different seasons). I had purchased the arch entryways, long back bush, back corner bush, and fencing at the time I had made the spring P.M. Garden to make sure I was getting the same type product from the artisan (House That Jack Built, a company long gone now). But I was gonna need a fall (and winter) tree.  But I never found a good autumn tree I like. So I decided to make one from an old Lemax tree I had:

The leaves were so obviously fake.  So I cut more realistic looking ones off of a roll of fall leaves vine. And added the leaves, gluing them, one at a time:


Finally finished gluing all the leaves on and glued all my goodies to the grass flocked board.




Love the little chipmunk under the table

There is a gap in the back right corner. In the Springtime Garden that space has a bird bath.  I want a stacked pumpkin display to go in that spot for the Fall Garden, but haven't found one nor have I had the time to make one.  It was more important to me to finish the garden with what I had for now.  I can add finishing touches in the coming years. 

There are a few finishing touches already in the Fall Garden, such as these lantern kits I bought about a decade ago by Robin Betterly...

Assembled the kits but still need to paint and add the handles

Here are some up-close photos of my lantern kits, finally assembled and painted:

I put tiny votive candles inside. Pumpkin cutout design.

Spooky cat cutout design.

And since there are close up photos of my Fall Garden, here are a few details you couldn't see from my Spring Garden in the first few photos:

Butterfly on the arch entry

Chipmunk chilling in the garden

Spring time robin eggs in a teacup in the tree

I did make a Winter Garden too, but it did not turn out like the vision in my head. I always knew that it would be too cold for the teahouse patrons to sit outside in the winter so the tables would be removed to make way for the Christmas Trees.  However, if I had more time, patience, etc. the garden would have twinkle lights wrapped around the tree, bushes, and fence and there would have been footprints in the snow from guests walking around the trees. I do not love the snowman in the back corner -- he is strictly a place holder until I find something I absolutely love to go in that spot (same troublesome bird bath spot from Spring and empty gap spot from Fall). Maybe I'll look for some Gluhwein (Germany hot cider) in a small stall to go in that corner....

Front arch entry

Looking down into the garden

Victorian pink tree and wreath on left side of garden

Traditional red tree and wreath on right side of garden

Favorite view, looking thru arch into garden

So the gardens are ready to be displayed next to the Tea House.  And as the window flower boxes change seasons on the house, so will the garden on the side of the building!

No comments:

Post a Comment