Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Friday, February 20, 2015

Pink House; Deja Vu!

So we had this pink house dropped off for a good cleaning for a child's birthday on Feb. 21st.  Owner didn't know much about it; it was her childhood dollhouse that she was now passing down to her own child.  Wasn't even sure if the person who made it for her had built it from scratch or from a kit.  She suspected it was built from scratch.  It was constructed with 3" high siding strips glued to corner pieces (which is why at times you can see gaps or separations where customer's relative did not have them lined up exactly right).  Staring at it pricked at my brain, making me think I should remember something.  But, it was a simple job to just clean the outside, wash the curtains, and to glue the broken railings back together and onto the house.  So I ignored the nagging voice in my brain (not an easy thing to do) and got to work . . . .

Before: Dirty and missing railings on the top porch.

After: Cleaned up and railings are glued back together and onto the house.

Before: All the railings and porch posts on the second level were broken to pieces and missing off the house.

After: Railings were glued together and reattached to the house.

Before: Filthy, filthy.

After: a good scrubbing makes it look so much better!

Before/In Process: Cleaning the house.

After: Railing on side porch is repaired too.
It still bugged me though.  That voice in my head would not shut up: Something about this house was so familiar.  Then it hit me: We've worked on this type of house before!  Our first repair house was this same style house, only in a black and white color scheme, back in 2004.

Before of 2004 Repair Job
After of 2004 Repair Job
Two separate houses with the exact same layout and construction method.  And, yesterday I found a third one of these homes for sale on Craig's List.  This was definitely not something the customer's uncle/father/grandfather threw together for her - not unless he made 3 of them and I happened to have found all three within 11 years of each other!  Must be from a kit, but what an unusual kit that you construct using siding strips!  I have tried researching this house (as of yesterday) but have not discovered (yet) who created them.  They are cute though!
And if anyone out there knows anything about this house and/or any kit it may have originated from: please let me know so that I can ignore the "continue to research it until you find answers" voice in my brain.  It needs to be silenced so that I may enjoy the "have some more chocolate" voice instead.

2 comments:

  1. What a difference that makes with another colors
    I like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lori,
    It is a beautiful house. The exterior is so charming! Great work breathing new life into the exterior.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete