Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Return to the Non-Colonial Colonial

Late last year we worked on an adorable little green house (Customer's Non-Colonial Colonial) replacing some railings and shingles and cutting an archway from the kitchen to the dining room.

Customer took dollhouse back home and removed the old wallpapers and prepared the ceilings so when she brought it back to us, we could install new papers and glue the arch trims in place.

Last year the kitchen looked like this:


Rocking the retro look?
We cut the archway.
Then, after customer removed papers and returned it to us, we installed the arch trim on either side of the archway.
The raw edge of the wood wall between the arch trims looks uneven and nasty.  Even if we were to paint it, it would not look as nice as I'd like.  So in went the wall spackle fill . . .
In the photo above the wall spackle is still wet which is why it is slightly pink (I use the spackle that goes on pink and turns white when it's dry and ready to sand).  Once it was sanded and smooth, it looks so nice:
The other part of the house that turned out nicely was the living room.  Customer picked a blue paint for the top of the room and a stripe wallpaper for the bottom part.
You can't see it in the photo above, but the hardest part papering in this room was going up the stairs:
Papering and painting around all those non-removable stairs, door trims, window trims and baseboards was tricky but I think it all turned out nicely enough in the end!

Another fun room was the bathroom/upstairs hallway:
I am glad the customer took our advice and went with the same paper for the bathroom and hallway: all we did was cut the border off for the hallway walls.  Tied the two rooms together yet kept the bathroom a separate space.  This area was too small to do two separate color/coordinating papers so this was a nice compromise.  Customer wanted to keep the original yellow tile that had been in the bathroom so we thought the ducky paper went well with it.

Here are photos of the rest of the house:

Girl's Bedroom

Dining Room

Master Bedroom
Attic rooms got a fresh coat of paint.  Overall, this house is going to make a little granddaughter so happy when she gets it for her birthday!  What a great gift!
BEFORE any work was done
AFTER: A bright and cheery home ready for play!
And another dollhouse survives, passed down to another generation, for hours of enjoyment and play!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lori,
    Terrific transformation!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete