Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Snow Day in the Kitchen

Thanks to the snow I had some time to work on my 1795 kitchen roombox. I have a series of kitchens (decorated to be 1795, 1895, 1929, 1963, and 2009). But the 1795 and 1895 kitchens were not yet built or decorated. So I used my snow day to work on the 1795 cellar (instead of laundry or cleaning as I should have spent my time).  I had to start in the cellar because I figured it would be the most difficult thing to do as it is in a 3" wide space and once the outer walls are glued in place the lower "underground" section of the cellar would be near-to-impossible to reach to finish.
First I used magic-bric on the walls.  Then I created the floor:
Using wall spackle I drew in the field stone flooring in the cellar.
After spackle was dry I painted it with a brown paint wash.
Once that was dry I mixed coffee grinds with a glue/water mixture
and grouted between my stones with "dirt".
Once "dirt" dried, I vacuumed out the loose grains, installed the steps
and landing, and finally glued on the side walls.
The most entertaining part of it all was trying to reach my hand in to glue in the steps as I stupidly glued the side wall in BEFORE remembering to glue in the steps down there!  But, with a cup of coffee and a few choice words, I did it.
Next came the ceiling: almost didn't happen as I realized first thing in the morning that I did not have the white paint at home with me (I had left it at work). But I discovered some left over ceiling paper strips from another project I had worked on and decided that would work just as well!  The strips were practically the right width needed to fit between my ceiling beams so it all worked out like it was meant to be!
Photo of ceiling (photo is upside down - I can't figure out how to flip it right side up).
 The walls will be spackled stucco.  But before I do that, I want to do the floor.  Yes, this is completely backwards order of what you should do and I am running the risk of getting the white stucco material on the floor, thus ruining the floor, but if there is a more difficult way of doing something, I will find it and do it that way! LOL
Speaking of making something more difficult: I have never found the right brick flooring that I want for this kitchen (one of the reasons it did not get built and decorated yet).  So I am going to make one out of paperclay.  Because I love frustrating and punishing myself . . . . but I will pretend like it will be worth it once I finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment