Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Customer's Little Fixer-Upper

This home came in needing some obvious repair work (mostly shingles and window work)...
Before: back of house
Before: front of house

You can see where the shingles on the back roof needed to be replaced.  As well as some on the side and front roof that needed to be replaced...
Before: Back and side roof need replacement shingles
Before: front roof missing a large section of shingles
I found some left over shingles from another project and did some painting to match...
The shingles in a row are from the house
They weren't quite the same shape and the new painted shingles were a flat finish whereas the old shingles had a faded semigloss coat on them, but overall they blended in well enough.
Back and side roof now shingled
Front roof is now shingled
Customer wanted the shag carpets removed (she wants to pick out and install new carpets herself).
Customer also wanted us to remove this carpet, which I had already begun to pull up before I remembered to take a pic
So it doesn't look particularly pretty, but floor is ready for it's next carpet now.
I also removed all the broken window panes and installed one plexiglass pane in each window opening. And I reattached the front door with a tape hinge (door is too thin for a hinge and customer didn't want to spend an additional hour of labor it would take to install the hinge onto the door and house when child will probably just break it off. So I opted for a tape hinge so door still opens/closes but quick, easy fix for mom when it breaks off again after excess use.)

Overall this quick little job gave this "good-bones" house a much needed fix-up.
BEFORE: back of house (Once more)

AFTER (overall view of back of house)
BEFORE: front of house (again)
AFTER: front of house
I cannot believe it is November already!  Have two more customer houses coming in this month for work so I need to get some more of these houses that are still here finished!


  1. Hello Lori,
    Great job. It is always lovely to see a house being given a facelift. What a wonderful heirloom this will be.
    Big hug

  2. Hi, Lori - I always enjoy the before and after photos of your rejuvenated houses. How satisfying it must be to restore beauty and order to those less-than-perfect customer houses. You seem to always go to extra lengths to make the old houses look like new again, and I admire your patience and diligence.