Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Friday, December 4, 2015

More Magic Brik'ing!

Okay, some updates to my last blog post (Brick House!): First, and most disappointing, the small amount of Magic Brik compound I had left over that I sealed in a container and put in the refrigerator hardened after one night!  Years ago I was able to store left over Magic Brik for up to a week.  There were at least two instances when I did that.  But this time it hardened.  So ignore that tip I gave a few days ago - I am saddened to say it may no longer apply.

Secondly, I had someone mention that they did not quite understand what I was talking about with regards to removing the stubborn left over bits in the template.  So this time I took photos of that while I use Magic Brik on the First Floor Front wall and the Porch Floor:
Peel the template sticker off the paper; some stubborn 'bricks' remain stuck in the template
Use your finger and press against the sticky side of the stubborn 'brick'
The 'bricks' will stick to your fingers (unless you use lotion frequently and don't have dry skin)
Remove and discard the sticker 'bricks' (or reuse them as labels on miniature glass jars/cans)

All stubborn 'bricks' removed and template is ready to be put on the house!
 So on Wednesday I bricked the First Floor Front wall:
Tape and goop are on the house...
Was not fun getting the compound between the window and top cornice
Also not fun getting the mixture between the column and the front door trim.
 In order to get the compound mixture into those tight, tiny places I cut up an old credit card and used it as a spackle knife to get into those little areas.

Tape template removed leaving beautiful bricks behind!

Once dry, I can move onto the porch floor!
Once the First Level Front Wall was dry on Thursday, I could brick the Porch Floor:
Porch floor is still wet so it looks slightly darker than wall brick
Again, getting between the columns and between the back column and door trim was patience-testing
 Overall the project is coming along quickly . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment