Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Friday, January 30, 2015

Harborside Bliss!

After checking the continuity of the power and disconnecting the switch from the tapewire, I finally determined that the issue was a short either in the wire or in a fixture.  But I had no idea how to figure out which fixture or where in the wire the short was located.  Luckily I have become good friends with Carl of Creative Reproductions 2 Scale (I'm sure many of you have seen his real working fan light).  So after I reinstalled the switch to the tapewire under the house, I called Carl and picked his brain!

He instructed me to remove all the bulbs in the fixtures on the 3rd floor.  Then he told me how to use his tester to check to see if the short was in the wires.  No short in the wires!  And, my CirKit tester was now lighting when I tested (before it was dimly lighting before immediately turning off)!  This is progress!  So to determine which fixture had the short, I reinstalled the bulbs, one bulb at a time, one fixture at a time, across the 3rd floor.  When I hit the bulb that would make them all go back out: that's the fixture that has the short.  Simple.  Brilliant!

Each bulb lit as I reinstalled them!  I am thankful that no wallpapers, floorings, or trims had to be ripped out or replaced!  I kept testing the house all day long and every single time it lit up, all three levels!  I sometimes even left them on for minutes just so I could stare at how pretty it all looks . . .

3rd floor lights are working!

Such a pretty house!

No comments:

Post a Comment