Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Sunday, July 23, 2017

(New York) Christmas in July

It's done!!! My New York Shop Windows Room Box is done!  Well, basically done; just needs some boxes under the Tiffany tree, and some more garland and "Merry Christmas" sign in the Teuscher window, and I still have to print out the Broadway posters for the frames (current ink cartridges are low so posters aren't printing out as nice as I'd like them -- have to wait until printer ink is changed)...Okay, so it still needs more work. But it's presentable now. ("It's presentable now" doesn't sound nearly as exciting or as dramatic as "It's done!".)

Last minute add-ons to the room boxes:  I added some reindeers to Tiffany's window.

Plastic buttons, but they weren't dazzling

Taped up antlers and sprayed white
Sprinkled this glitter stuff on them

Sparkle plenty now!
 
I like the simplicity of the window, but thinking 2 or 4 small Tiffany boxes need to be in this window too.
For those of you who noticed there are only two reindeer in the Tiffany window, but there had been three in the package: the third is hiding in another window.  It's like Waldo.  Have fun looking for him! LOL

And the Teuscher Chocolatier shop window needed something on the back wall...the original real life window has an over abundance of ornament garland on the back wall:
Real life window packed full of ornaments and garland
But all I had was a piece of garland that I fashioned into a skinny wreath.  It was looking weak.
So I added some greenery sprays and ornaments to it until it was properly over-the-top dripping with stuff.
A full wreath for the back wall, roughly 3" diameter
Teuscher side will still need some more garland on the back wall, hanging from the crown molding that is just out of view.  Two more packs of garland are on order and should arrive in mid-Sept.

So this project is "presentable now"!  Here's a video of it:

Loving it "at night" too, especially the Tiffany's windows:


Or, if you'd prefer, photos of both the real life and the mini versions of New York shop windows decorated for the holidays...
Real Life Teuscher window
MINI VERSION.  Did you spot the third sparkly reindeer?
Real Life Tiffany window

MINI VERSION
Real life Bergdorf Goodman window that I fell in love with when my friend posted the pic she took of it while in NYC

Real life exterior of shop


MINI VERSION. The side that started it all
The final wall had no "real life" version; I was just looking for something "New York" and brick buildings and Broadway jumped to mind.
MINI VERSION. Still waiting on fresh printer ink to print these
Got this done just in time to claim it as "Christmas in July"!  Hope you enjoyed it as much as I do!

5 comments:

  1. Lori, this is over-the-top fabulous! Seriously... Saw bits and pieces when Tish was making the doll but this is something I never expected. And what a clever way to display all three without taking up and entire shelf (or table) of space. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabitha! Tish captured the feel of the doll perfectly! She exceeds all my expectations with every doll I have ever purchased from her! She is so talented and amazing!

      Delete
  2. Hello Lori,
    These storefronts are amazing. Well done.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lori - Another success! The sparkling reindeer are just the right touch for the Tiffany window; I think it's beautiful. I finally found the third reindeer - that Teuscher window is gorgeous, too, especially with the larger wreath. The brick Broadway wall is very cleverly done - I hope you'll show it again with the additional posters. You've done such nice work on this project. Bravo!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete