Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Gold Boxes

While waiting for some Majestic Mansion doors to arrive for my mansion's addition, I've been playing around with my New Yorker Roombox (last post about New Yorker).  Finished decorating and electrifying the Bergdorf Goodman side:
Tish's "Queen of Hearts" doll is the centerpiece of this shop's window
This is the actual, real life, Christmas time, Bergdorf Goodman window display:
So I'm pretty content with how that side has turned out so far.
And then it was on to Tiffany's windows (no pics yet) and the Teuscher Chocolatier window...
The actual, real life, Teuscher windows at Christmas time look like this:

Trees, ornaments, and garland: Oh My!
Mine has more gold than red it in thanks to some wallpaper and the Christmas trees by Miniature Corner that I fell in love with:
Mismatched trees
My window is larger than the real life window so I needed multiple trees of various heights.  But my little tree doesn't "match" the abundance of stuff decorating the larger tree.  So I got to work decorating it so it would coordinate better.
Garland and beads to add to the tree
Now it's more appropriately bedazzled and gold
The roombox was still looking a little sparse when compared to the picture of the actual shop at Christmas time.  There is a piece of garland for the back wall, but there is still way too much carpet showing in the window.  So I zoomed in on the real life photos and discovered that there are more things in the window than just trees, garland, and the occasional Santa/nutcracker/snowman!  There was a shelf full of chocolate boxes!
Chocolate? Yes, please!!!!
So I got to work making boxes to decorate with little floral garland-type toppers:
Made a box template and found a gold striped paper to make box out of
Cut out the box pattern (white inside, gold on the outside)

Glued the box up

Made multiples to decorate a plexiglass shelf piece I had from JMG
 Then I got some small gold beads and various crystals to create the topper:
These sparkly babies were the perfect color to coordinate with the trees in the scene

Painted some little beads to look more "floral"
Glued them to the boxes and put them on the shelf unit along with a mini Hallmark "Father Christmas" ornament that a friend sent me...
Still have to add the topper to the ones on the bottom...
And, like on the Bergdorf Goodman and Tiffany's sides, I even replicated the store sign on the Teuscher Chocolatier side:
Real Life Sign

My mini window version (in progress)
This evening I finished decorating tbe boxes and put some garland and poinsettias under the shelves:


Added a penny to the shelf for perspective
Need to glue garland on back wall and add some more filler pieces, but I am just about content with this side too...
So I'm still putzing around with miniatures, but no updates on the mansion yet....

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda! My stuff doesnt compare to your and John's work on the Children's Museum of Cleveland replica!

      Delete
  2. Both room boxes have replicated the "real thing" very well. I especially like all the tiny gold chocolate boxes with their shiny decorations. They look beautiful on the display shelf. You've done a great job on these festive window displays - and you've made it look like such fun!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete