Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Celerity Little Molly

As much as I'd like to spend all my time working on my own projects, I still have customers' projects waiting for me at work.  There have been some quick little fixes (a Glenwood got some electrical installed, a roombox got reinforced with glue and supports, etc.); nothing exciting or worthy of photos.  Until I finished a customer's Celerity dollhouse yesterday!  It arrived in a mostly raw wood state (customer had assembled the structure and she had started to prime and install wiring before bringing it to us).
Interior, first level had wiring installed and floor was primed.
There were minor issues with assembly: kneewalls in attic were installed backwards, roof was not flush in the back causing the front roof to not line up correctly, some interior walls were glued next to walls that they should have been glued flush in front of, etc. But this house is for a child and customer did not want to spend a small fortune having us remove everything to re-assemble/glue/nail it back in place correctly.  So we only fixed the top two issues that hindered finishing the house the way the customer wanted . . .
Kneewall was installed with angle facing the wrong way.
Front roof does not line up.
Kneewalls were pried out of the house, nails removed, cut the kneewalls down to fit (due to roof not being glued on properly), swapped sides and reinstall them.  But the front roof had to be removed, the front shaved off (which left a ridiculous 1/8" wide tail at the bottom overhanging which customer elected to have us cut it off), and then reinstalled.
The interior was to receive some wiring, wallpapers and paint.  One room was getting a chandelier (and the exterior was to get coach lights by the doors).  We primed, installed wiring, installed the wallpapers, and painted where customer desired.
Little Molly BEFORE

Little Molly AFTER

Attic Finished (with kneewalls installed correctly).

Bedroom with painted walls and accent wallpaper on back wall.

Living Room with chandelier.
The exterior had some broken and missing railing for the porches, and it was missing all windows and doors, and the customer wanted more of an "urban" look instead of a "Swiss Chalet" look (as it was pictured in the original instructions) so when picking out windows and color scheme, customer tried to keep it as streamlined and contemporary as possible.  We think the house turned out very cute and I know any little girl would love to play in it!
Little Molly Exterior BEFORE
Little Molly Exterior AFTER