Welcome to my life . . . .

This is a blog about my passion: dollhouses and miniatures. This particular blog was started to follow my miniature dream: to create a Victorian Mansion. But work on my Mansion is slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Ice Age glacier movement slow. Why? Because I am easily distracted by other personal miniature projects (I have 50+ roomboxes and 15 dollhouses in various stages of incompletion) and because I work for a miniature shop and am often up to my elbows in miniature projects that aren't mine! So, I thought, some artists work in a particular medium (woods, watercolors, clay, oils, etc.), I work in progress . . . .

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Lighthouse demolition

 Remember this dollhouse (Prior blog post about this project)?

Real Good Toys Lighthouse


Customer decided the Currituck brick look wasn't going to work for her: she wanted it displayed on the balcony at her beach house (or on her living room table when she wasn't at the beach house to monitor the weather on her balcony). Even though I put 4 coats of UV protective sealant spray on the paper bricking, after 3+ years it began to fade in the direct sunlight and salt air, and some of the brick papers were loose.

So she's hired me to remove the bricking, sand it down, and she wants it painted all white (similar to the Okracoke lighthouse).

Sanded down to the raw wood

Paper has been removed. Glue residue, brown primer paint, and most of the siding has been sanded off with my Dremel oscillating sanding tool. 

Gave it 2 coats of primer:



And contacted customer to see if dark brown roof and trims should be painted black or not. But customer has been told she needs surgery at the end of the month so she's asked that I put the project aside until she's recovered and can research how she wants it to look.  So customer's house has been put aside and I'm back at my mansion again!

1 comment: